2 Read our API docs
3 Build, test, and go!
What is Wikia?
Wikia is a collaborative publishing platform that enables communities to discover, create, and share content—from data to images—on any topic and in any language. The Wikia network of wikis now boasts over 3 million registered users on over 275,000 wikis, along with over 57 million monthly global visitors.
It goes without saying that we have A LOT of stuff you can use.
We currently support the following APIs:
- MediaWiki API - Since Wikia is built on top of MediaWiki, the MediaWiki API can be used to access most of the data on our websites.
- LyricWiki API - Provides access to LyricWiki.
- Wikia Custom API - Provides access to Wikia-specific features, such as LatestPhotos.
You can find all the documentation on these APIs on our Documentation page.
You can request a key by completing our Key Request Form. When requesting a key, you will be prompted to login or sign up for a Wikia account. If you don't have a Wikia account yet, you can quickly register for one on this sign-up page. It's simple, free, and you can benefit from the knowledge of the entire Wikian Community.
The bottom line: don't do anything you wouldn't tell your mom.
But here's the gist of it:
- Except where otherwise specified, Wikia's content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0). It is your responsibility to understand and adhere to the license.
- Do not use our APIs in a manner that impacts the stability of Wikia's servers or impacts the behavior of other applications using our APIs.
- We reserve the right, in our sole discretion and at any time without notice to you, to change, suspend, or discontinue the APIs, or terminate your rights to access them.
- Our APIs are being provided free of charge, so Wikia will have no liability arising from or based on your access to and use of the APIs.
- Although you are free to make public statements regarding your use of the API, you may not imply that you and Wikia have some sort of special relationship (employer-employee, partnership, or joint venture) without Wikia's prior written consent.
- And last but not least, please don't use our APIs to violate any laws or regulations.
So go on, play nice, and of course, have fun! If you have any questions about Wikia's APIs, email us at email@example.com.